Things I learned at the dinner.
1. I was the only straight male invited. (Women got to come).
2. Virginia City has a large (wealthy & sophisticated) gay pop.
3. My landlords and their crew drink daily copious amounts of wine.
4. Virginia City has enough naughtéy gossip to fill The Clinton Library.
5. The Carpenters “Greatest Hits” is great for man dancing.
After dinner I went to Sergeant Major’s Saloon to have a scotch, listen to some country karaoke and talk to the VC
Interesting that one sec I am discussing “La Faux Cagiles” while The Carpenters rock the casbah and ten minutes later I am taking a leak and reading "Hang Obama". There are different lifestyles, beliefs and social classes in any city. But in a town of 1,100 the disparity feels so magnified.
After fairly decent Kung Pao I went next door to Sergeant Major's bar (think walls with stapled dollar bills accessorizing with undergarments hanging from the ceiling). I met a guy named Griz who looked like Lawrence Tierney in “Reservoir Dogs”. He told me I looked like Kumar from “Harold and Kumar". I told him not to hate because I was tan and good-looking. He bought my drinks all night, showed me (and others) his ass at the Mark Twain Casino and offered up whores on him at the Kit Kat Ranch.